Job Title: Portfolio Talent Manager (Octopus Ventures)
Location: Central London
Opening date for applications: 9th January 2019
Closing date for applications: 5th February 2019
Octopus Ventures, part of Octopus Group, is a leading European venture capital firm that helps pioneering entrepreneurs change the world by taking ideas from inception to international scale.Octopus Ventures is headquartered in London and New York, with Venture Partners in San Francisco, Shanghai and Singapore. In recent years the team has invested in over 70 outstanding entrepreneurs that are leading the way in disrupting their industries, including but not limited to allplants, Elvie, Depop, Big Health, graze.com, Secret Escapes, Sofar Sounds, Swiftkey, Swoon Editions and Zoopla Property Group.
We are looking for an outstanding individual who can help our portfolio of talented CEOs build world leading businesses. In this role you will work with a number of early stage companies across a range of sectors and geographies to help them with their growth through the lens of talent. You will serve as both an expert in the functional area, but also as a partner, knowing that not one company or culture is the same, though fast-growing young companies will face similar challenges.
We believe that at the early stages of a company, the foundation for the culture is set. We want to ensure the founders we back are intentional about how they build their companies and are careful to consider decisions that could have a lasting impact. Beyond your advisory role, you will find ways to leverage the network of CEOs and executives such that they can learn from one another, and perhaps develop new ideas together.
As a part of this role you will be responsible for operationalizing the way that we work with companies, allowing the function to scale with the portfolio, continuously improve, and ultimately last:
• Identify and understand common challenges that CEOs face and develop creative solutions to help them work through those
• Determine levers of developmental support that can be offered to CEOs
• Build out products such that they can be repeated, driving efficiency in the way that we work with CEOs and our portfolio companies
• Partner and work with CEOs and leaders in portfolio companies to implement any processes/programs that will support their efforts in leading an organization
• Serve as an expert on startup talent, and the future of talent in startups -- research, write, and present on this subject
• Further expertise and deepen perspective on the likes of compensation, employee development in the era of automation, diverse teams, remote work, international expansion
• Develop a scalable platform that can deploy solutions based upon talent management needs, resolve business and/or organizational questions, and construct talent models
• Build a candidate pipeline flow that will ensure talented individuals will land at the right organizations
• Support recruiting efforts across the portfolio
How you work
• User-centric mindset - you are inclined to consider the experience for the “end user”, or in this case, the stakeholders that are founders of companies and the partners that led investments.
• Builder - you thrive off of starting something new and building it from the ground up. This is where you get excited, and you love to figure out how to make things “work”.
• Forward thinker - you develop products today with an eye to the future -- both for the companies and the industry at large.
• Comfortable with ambiguity - you are able to navigate ambiguous projects and challenges with ease, using your ability to ask questions, research, and learn to bring clarity to any projects or problems that were previously undefined
• Collaborative - you work well with others and do better work because of it. You believe a part of your role is to make the people around you successful.
Your past Experience
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent required in Science or Engineering.
• Minimum of five years demonstrated talent management at a rapidly growing technology startup or venture capital house, and/or innovative growth digital technology company.
• Experience of the the US hiring market for venture backed companies, preferably New York and Silicon Valley.
• Experience as a business partner and thought leader to venture backed management teams who has demonstrated traction solving core business and operational objectives through people strategies and initiatives.
• Project management and organization skills to handle multiple projects (small and large) with conflicting priorities and deliver projects on time with excellence
• Demonstrated data analytics capabilities with the ability to identify insights, alternative solutions and recommendations
• Attention to detail, while able to keep the big picture in mind, and a strong sense of logic
• Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word