A new opportunity exists for a qualified Venture Capital lawyer to join the Legal team based in London. This is a newly created role which presents a challenging and exciting opportunity to take the Legal team’s funds and investment law advisory capability to the next level.
Your remit will be focussed on providing legal support and assistance and you will be flexible both in your approach and attitude. Reporting to the General Counsel, you will be part of the Octopus Group Legal team and responsible for providing legal support to the Octopus Ventures team. You will be comfortable operating in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment with exposure to senior stakeholders.
Octopus Ventures is a London and New York based venture capital firm, focussed on identifying unusually talented entrepreneurs. In recent years we have been fortunate to back the founding teams of over 60 companies, including Conversocial, graze.com, Love FiLM, Property Partner, Secret Escapes, Sofar Sounds, Swiftkey, Swoon Editions, Uniplaces, tails.com, Zoopla Property Group, and Zynstra.
We invest from £250,000 to £25 million in a first round of funding and will look to follow in subsequent rounds. We are proud to be known as one of the most entrepreneur friendly investors in Europe and a significant part of our portfolio consists of referrals from teams we have already invested in, or serial entrepreneurs who we have previously backed.
Whilst having a main focus on investments as outlined above, the candidate will be open to dealing with any legal issues delegated. Specifically, the candidate will be responsible for:
• Monitoring, managing and mitigating legal risks associated with private equity/venture capital transactions executed by entities or structures within the Octopus Ventures business including VCTs and LLP, LPs
• Reviewing drafting, negotiating and updating of various types of contracts and documentation including but not limited to BVCA and NVCA documentation and SPAs, shareholders agreements, term sheets, NDAs, articles, due diligence documentation and employment contracts where necessary;
• Ensuring that the business complies with ever changing VCT regulations and keeping abreast of and advising the team as to changes in regulations.
• Assessing the impact of new regulations and advising the business on relevant structural changes and subsequent execution;
• Dealing with day to day queries regarding legal and regulatory issues
• Assisting with the corporate and regulatory governance of the VCT platforms including assistance at board meetings where appropriate;
• Assist in the implementation of legal/secretariat strategic initiatives
• Be responsible for the development of best practise for the legal role including in relation to role infrastructure requirements
• Providing best practice delivery to all internal and external clients, assisting Octopus Ventures division to impact the presentation of its products positively to those clients at all times.
• Providing exemplary legal management to ensure that business needs are fulfilled to the highest level.
• Managing the workflows of this role by appropriately prioritising work and the assignment of tasks.
• Co-ordination with other business support functions such as Company Secretariat, Risk, Compliance, Operations and Finance as appropriate.
What you’ll need to be successful:
• Fully qualified UK lawyer, demonstrating experience expected of a solicitor with around 2 years PQE experience in a similar role
• A proven track record across venture capital investments legal advisory
• Experience gained in private practice is essential, but in-house experience would be an advantage
• Happy to multi-task and manage a variety of transactions at any given time.
• Great team player and capable of working pro-actively in a fast-paced environment
• Have a friendly demeanour, fantastic organisational skills, with a great attention to detail
• Be freethinking and able to spot and help implement new efficiencies where appropriate
• Enjoy liaising with different kinds of people, representing Ventures internally and externally
• Have an interest in learning more about the companies we invest in, the industry and applying this knowledge to the role as you learn more
• Want to be part of a tight and ambitious team
• Thorough working knowledge of financial services/investments products law as well as regulatory matters
And to really stand out from the crowd:
• Consistently display behaviours that encourage productive working relationships and a strong performance culture both across legal/secretariat and the various business units.
• Be comfortable in providing advice in a flexible, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
• Support in the review, execution and improvement of the legal/secretariat team’s culture year on year, including through the consistent implementation of effective action plans.
• Assisting Octopus Ventures to manage its legal and regulatory risk profile and to maintain appropriate risk management systems.
• Assisting the company secretariat function with its duties and requirements to ensure the delivery of company secretarial support for the Octopus Ventures companies and products.
• Where required or requested, assisting in the management or negotiation of other general counsel advisory affecting relevant funds or the business as well as managing legal advice on key legislative and common law developments affecting the relevant business
The Octopus Group includes Octopus Investments, Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. We call it ‘a brighter way’, changing today for a better tomorrow. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
Our values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone to shares our values of being
straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA
goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
• We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for
• We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold
• We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in
• We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting
• We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel
empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand
the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic,
LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus
employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.