At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ 700 people and manage more than £7.8 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the role
The Business Development Manager will join the Quoted commercial team, which sits within the Quoted business, part of Octopus Investments. The Quoted business is responsible for the growth and development of quoted investment products (funds and discretionary services). The Quoted business consists of the Quoted commercial team, the Quoted Companies investments team and the Multi Manager investment team.
The Quoted commercial team includes sales, marketing and product management professionals. The purpose of the commercial team is to increase the size and value of the Quoted business, whilst ensuring that the business is well-managed and efficient.
You, as a Business Development Manager, will report into the Head of Quoted Distribution and will be responsible for growing funds under management. You will generate sales from new and existing clients through direct sales activity. Most of the sales activity will be targeted towards financial advisers (especially larger firms, advice networks, nationals and service providers) and institutional investors.
You will work alongside the Head of Quoted Distribution, Senior Business Development Manager (to be hired). You will be the lead on new accounts that you generate, and some existing accounts, but you will be required to work alongside colleagues (within and outside the Quoted commercial team) on some of the larger and more complex relationships.
Essential Job Functions
· Do whatever it takes to drive asset growth in the Quoted business, whilst always living our corporate values: be helpful, be straightforward, be bold.
· Use existing contacts to generate relationships with new accounts for Octopus.
· Apply both traditional and creative techniques to develop new relationships with accounts and come up with innovative solutions to sales challenges.
· Develop existing accounts, ensuring that great service is delivered and driving asset growth.
· Operate as a valuable member of the team, while you will operate alone at times and will be rewarded for your achievements, you will place the success of the team and the business before yourself.
· Gather and interpret Management Information (MI) to inform regarding activity and productivity, monitoring of pipeline and targets, and to recommend appropriate actions. You will own the Quoted Dashboard reporting for the team.
· Come up with new ideas for communications and marketing content, working with Marketing, and effectively deliver this content as part of the sales process.
· Participate in internal projects, for example new fund launches.
· Keep up to date with wider industry developments especially those that will have an impact on distributors, advice firms and Octopus.
· Regular presentations to prospective and existing investors and distributors. Talk confidently about Octopus solutions and their role in the wider market.
Where opportunities arise, identify leads for other teams and businesses (e.g. the tax BDM team).
Job Specific Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
· An up-to-date knowledge of the financial services landscape where it relates to the distribution of quoted funds, including a strong knowledge of platforms, and the advisory market and how it works.
· A good understanding of how investment management works with a strong grasp of the detail to enable you to effectively sell funds to industry experts. However, will also have the humility and judgement to know when to ask for support from fund managers in the sales process.
· Proven results regarding the creation of new relationships and growth of existing relationships, with a track record of meeting asset growth targets.
· Flexibility to try new approaches and do whatever it takes to drive inflows. You are not stuck in your ways and will respond quickly to new challenges and opportunities.
· Self-starter who likes to always be productive, and has a flexible work ethic and ability to work effectively in an office, home and travel environment.
· Have the resilience to work in a fast moving, changing environment and able to cope with ambiguity. If you’re a sales person that loves quarterly targets and being given a list of accounts to own, you may be frustrated as the role requires patience and tenacity, and using relationship-based sales to deliver longer term sales results.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Confident and credible presentation skills – be prepared to come up with content and deliver presentations to small and large groups.
· Good interpersonal skills, with honesty and integrity always.
· Able to build rapport and establish credibility with account stakeholders, and able to influence senior stakeholders directly or indirectly.
· An appetite for continuous personal and professional development, broadening qualifications and learning where appropriate.
· Must be curious and seek to instil automated and digital solutions wherever appropriate
· Must be comfortable in using technology and leveraging digital applications and media platforms
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place so, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
Life is complicated enough. Don’t make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you’ve got a great idea, don’t keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.