At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ 800 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the role
The team liaises with external resources such as registrars and external NEDs and lawyers. The team is responsible for the management of a number of listed funds, including Board meetings with NEDS, upkeep of the company statutory records, involvement in ad hoc projects, ensuring that relevant documents are filed on time and announcements made to relevant authorities in respect of all companies but particularly the listed companies.
The team is also responsible for ensuring excellent corporate governance on the various boards, via the AIC Code of Corporate Governance and the UK Code of Corporate Governance as well as ensuring compliance with the Companies Act 2006 and with the Listing Rules.
This role will assist the relevant Company Secretaries and Assistant Company Secretaries with the management of either private companies or venture capital trusts and/or several other limited liability partnerships/limited partnerships across the Group to enable directors and/or partners to fulfil their statutory obligations.
The Company Secretarial Assistant supports the Company Secretaries in the Company Secretariat team:
· Maintenance and timely update of ICSA Blueprint Company Secretarial records;
· Statutory compliance for the portfolio companies and listed VCTs;
· Supporting the Company Secretaries in the preparation and distribution of Board packs
· Monitoring of accounts and annual returns due for the portfolio companies
· Preparation and filing of Annual Returns for the portfolio companies
· Dealing with statutory filings and administration following allotment of shares, transfers of shares, buy-back of shares, including Companies House filings, updating Blueprint Registers
· Company incorporations and name changes (by electronic formation/change)
· Production of share certificates, stock transfer forms
· Timely filings with Companies House
· Maintenance of statutory filing system, including setting up of statutory books and registers for new companies for the portfolios
· Using company information tools such as Artesian/Companies House Direct to establish certain facts, downloading and uploading documents.
· Calendar management, timetabling Board meetings and assist with arranging meetings, dealing with room requirements.
· Review and upkeep of certain processes and procedures for which they have nominated responsibility
· Other responsibilities as agreed from time to time
· Previous experience of attending and minuting board meetings desirable but not required
· ICSA qualified or part-qualified desirable but not required
· Good working knowledge of Blueprint or other similar corporate governance portals desirable
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place. So, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
Life is complicated enough. Don’t make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you’ve got a great idea, don’t keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.