At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ 700 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the role
Reporting to the Head of Sales you will be responsible for leading, motivating and developing a team of BDMs with a view to optimizing inflows and service in a sales region. You will be part of the Sales Management team responsible for developing sales strategy for the wider BDM team and the identification of commercial opportunities.
· Ownership of part of the overall sales strategy.
· Ownership of the regional sales strategy with the other field based ASD
· Responsible for growing new funds raised through effective deployment and development of the BDM team.
· Developing and delivering the ongoing T&C scheme
· Setting and monitoring progress on objectives and personal development plans for the team. Helping them to broaden their exposure to the rest of the business and to expand their skillset to incorporate face to face meetings and presentations. Developing Senior IBDMs into Hybrid roles.
· Empower your team to originate and effectively deliver sales campaigns
· Develop new initiatives to increase the number of advisers supporting Octopus and devising strategies to identify potential target advisers for the existing product set. Introducing opportunities from outside of the current supporter base to allow the Octopus supporter base to widen further
· Subject matter expert on all products and, in particular, products that BDMs typically find most difficult to position, eg Octopus Trading Partnership. Providing field-based support and technical back up to BDMs in these areas
· Delivery of regular performance reviews and coaching.
· Ownership of and responsibility for developing key adviser accounts in your region, with an expectation of having strong, productive relationships with the decision makers at the largest regional firms
· Presenting at regional seminars and to colleagues within Octopus. Ownership of regional events
· Working closely with Business Line Managers to develop product proposition by providing feedback from advisers
· Co-operate with other Octopus functions to ensure that specific product launches and training can be supported, often to tight time scales.
· Working closely with Marketing to optimize communications strategy
· Alongside risk co-ordinators responsible for monitoring operational risk and delivering ongoing training and support to the team
· Establish a sales culture within the BDM team that delivers peak performance while maintaining a collaborative team environment and delivering outstanding customer service.
· A proven track record in sales development combined with strong sales team management skills. Proven ability to deliver sales results as a team manager.
· Successful experience in building and developing a sales team. Must be able to form and execute a plan for identifying, hiring, training and developing BDMs into a world-class sales force.
· Must be comfortable communicating sophisticated messages in a clear and concise manner in front of both large and small groups, utilizing a variety of media.
· Will be an advocate of process improvement through the use of technology and training, championing a consistent approach. Will be comfortable operating in an environment of constant change. A strong eye for detail.
· Able to engender a real sense of ‘Esprit de Corps’ amongst the team members, champion the BDM team within Octopus and Octopus values within the BDM team.
· Should have proven track record of being able to operate, and effectively influence, clients at Board level (ideally within large IFA firms and Networks)
· A strong knowledge of financial markets and investment products and a clear commitment to continued development through professional exams, this person should be able to command respect with their ideas and initiatives both internally and externally.
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place. So, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
Life is complicated enough. Don’t make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you’ve got a great idea, don’t keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.