Job Title: Associate Commercial Asset Manager (Wind & Solar)
Location: Central London
Role open for Applications: 5th September 2018
Closing date for applications: 4th October 2018
Salary: £50,000 - 60,000
We are looking for an experienced Associate Commercial Asset Manager (CAM) to work in the Octopus Energy Asset Management team. The successful candidate will have previous experience in the management of both wind and solar renewable energy assets and will be responsible for the management of a large portfolio in excess of c. 60 MW UK wind c.60 MW of UK solar.
The CAM will use their technical and financial knowledge, including excel modelling skills to drive financial and operational performance. The successful candidate will also possess strong developer and/or Python skills, able to drive business efficiencies and leverage large data sets to analyse and drive asset performance. The CAM will be responsible for delivering company quarterly DCF valuations, annual budgets and operational information to Directors, funders and Octopus management. He/she will also be commercially minded, with strong negotiation skills for swift issue resolution. Occasional travel to site (UK) and to contractors’ offices (UK and Spain) will be required. A degree in commerce, economics or similar work experience would be valuable.
The role will sit within the Octopus Energy Asset Management (OEAM) team. This team manages over 250 energy generating companies, currently valued in excess of £2.6Bn and delivering revenue in excess of £230m pa. The operational activities include solar power parks, anaerobic digestion systems (AD), wind farms and gas fired generators (also called Reserve Power, RP). The operational solar portfolio is the largest in the UK, accounting for 12.5% of the market, with a growing international presence. The companies are owned by investors in Octopus managed funds or companies and do not have any direct employees.
The role is an excellent opportunity for an experienced individual to join a fast growing team and gain deep insight and experience in the operation of solar and wind power farms. The candidate must be well organised with good prioritisation skills to manage both site specific and portfolio wide issues across multiple companies; understanding the financial, legal and technical considerations. They will have good commercial acumen and communication skills with which to design and deliver portfolio level optimisation and drive efficiencies and improvements in service from the outsourced functions. He/she will be comfortable reading and interpreting legal documents as well as approving budgets and maintaining complex financial models and forecasts..
The Associate Commercial Asset Manager will have:
• experience in wind and solar farm management
• experience in project management and the management of stakeholder reporting requirements
• experience of solar / wind farm budget preparation
• experience of managing external debt facilities, including ongoing reporting, reserve management, covenant management, condition subsequent resolution and loan compliance is necessary
• commercial understanding of typical project documents (including SPAs, PPA, O&M and EPC contracts)
• knowledge of private equity deals, project finance and private company valuations (DCF)
• familiarity with solar and wind asset monitoring tools (InAccess, Breeze, SCADA, Raycatch, Algo Engines, Quickbase)
• Familiarity with accounting packages (preferably SUN & Proactis)
• Financial modelling experience
Will use his/her extensive system developer skills to:
· allow automatic flow of information (i.e. operating reports to internal and external stakeholders);
· monitor and drive technical performance of both solar and wind assets by using big data collection processing, manipulation, and advanced statistical analysis.
· drive projects to implement machine learning for predictive analysis and performance optimisation of wind and solar sites
The candidate will be highly-educated and a quick learner. The candidate must be well organised with good prioritisation skills to manage both site specific and portfolio wide issues across multiple companies. They will be numerate, have good commercial acumen and excellent interpersonal skills.
Education & experience requirements
The CAM will be required to have previous experience in the following software/programming languages: