At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ over 500 people and manage more than £6 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
Octopus Property is one of the industry’s leading specialist lenders with an impressive track record and numerous awards. With a highly experienced team and a clear vision for growth, now is an exciting time to join the business as we continue to the next phase of our journey. The team is expanding rapidly and they aim to provide a level of technical expertise and personal service that is unrivalled in the financial services industry.
External Business Development Managers – Buy-to-Let (EBDMs) must be highly motivated, articulate, passionate people who thrive whilst working in a fast paced sales team. Working alongside the buy-to-let sales team, you will be responsible for the delivery of lending targets across a defined region. Our EBDMs are not just best in class, they are expected to deliver world class service to their brokers and clients. The Buy-to-Let market is a new area of focus for the business and this role will play an important part in shaping the success of this area.
• Achieve and exceed sales targets as set by the Head of Sales
• Manage, build and maintain relationships with existing and new brokers alike
• Be the focal point for all brokers and clients within your region and for our buy-to-let products
• Provide an exceptional level of customer service
• Manage the process from start to finish
• Implement new sales and marketing campaigns
• Take overall responsibility for all deals attributed to your region
• Increase the number of transacting brokers within your region
• Enhance and develop existing relationships to increase business levels
• Efficiently manage your work load in a fast paced and pressured environment
• Present the Octopus proposition at required team meetings and trade shows
• Hold face to face meetings with brokers and clients
• Attend networking events as required
Job Specific Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
• Proven track record of exceeding sales targets
• CeMap qualification ideal
• Good knowledge and understanding of the buy-to-let mortgage market and experience within the intermediary sector
• Access to contacts across major networks and packagers
• Exceptional phone manner, face to face manner and communication skills.
• Experience in a similar role and having a background dealing with brokers
• Ability to work independently
• Strong and flexible work ethic
• Service focused
• High quality interpersonal skills
• Positive winning mentality
• Ability to build and maintain your own panel of brokers
• Attention to detail
• Relevant IT knowledge (particularly Microsoft Office including Excel)
• Ability to thrive in a high pressured environment
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place. So, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
Life is complicated enough. Don’t make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you’ve got a great idea, don’t keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.