At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ over 500 people and manage more than £6 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
Octopus Healthcare is a leading healthcare property investor / developer in the UK. With a twelve year track record, approximately £1.2bn (gross) of assets under management and a team of approximately 50, we are active across multiple UK healthcare property sectors with a particular focus on GP surgeries, elderly care homes and retirement living.
The Healthfunds team is responsible for two funds managed by Octopus Healthcare: Healthfund II and the Octopus Healthcare Fund. Focussed on UK elderly care home investments leased to a variety of operators and comprising total assets / commitments of approximately £400m (gross), these funds are a key part of Octopus Healthcare’s investment business. The Octopus Healthcare Fund (created from an existing fund launched and managed by Octopus Healthcare since 2010) is a recently launched, open-ended vehicle with a seed portfolio of approximately £140m (gross). With identified equity commitments approaching £100m and a major equity raise about to commence, the objective is for the Fund to scale to £1bn (gross) and become the sector leading unlisted UK healthcare investment vehicle.
The Fund Accountant will report directly to the Senior Finance Manager and will work alongside another accountant. The Fund Accountant will be an experienced self-starter, comfortable with working individually on projects and also demonstrating strong project management skills to influence and direct a wide range of advisers.
The right candidate will have strong technical skills and proven experience managing a number of transactions and projects. The Fund Accountant will have had exposure to real estate investment and will be familiar with the financial reporting, tax and the associated regulatory environment affecting the sector. Below is a list of specific requirements of the role.
• Leading projects such as tax structuring, and partnering the investment team on acquisitions, owning the financial deliverables
• Drive and own quarterly group consolidated reporting, including trial balance analysis and balance sheet and intercompany reconciliations
• Preparation of finance submission for quarterly reporting pack including KPIs and metrics
• Leading / supporting annual audit / statutory accounts process where appropriate
• Negotiating fees, scopes and input from third party advisers
• Responsibility for quality and process control and adherence to Fund documentation and restrictions
• Managing tax issues and compliance associated with fund structures
• Review and preparation of covenant compliance and reporting
• Keeping abreast of evolving Financial Reporting, Tax, Regulatory and market developments
• Supporting strategic initiatives and other ad-hoc analysis, as required
• ACA, CIMA, ACCA or similar qualified accountant with at least two years post-qualification experience in fund accounting
• Strong sector credentials
• Proven track record of delivering projects
• Confidence to present, influence others and lead
• Ability to negotiate and deliver commercial solutions
• Focus on both the big picture and detail when required
• Good organisational skills with an ability to multi-task
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place so, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile
Life is complicated enough. Don’t make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you’ve got a great idea, don’t keep it to yourself.