An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Management and Reporting Accountant to join the team, taking full responsibility for all aspects of the management accounting and financial reporting for the MedicX Fund. The role will lead on the monthly management accounting process, including balance sheet reconciliations, consolidation and variance analysis under IFRS. The Management and Reporting Accountant will also be point person with a range of advisers, such as auditors and tax advisers, to facilitate the preparation of group and subsidiary financial statements. The position will grow to take some responsibility for tax compliance as the fund develops as a REIT, such as reviewing returns, driving forward capital allowance studies and overseeing elements of the VAT and CIS processes. In addition, the right candidate will also gain exposure and take a significant leading role in preparing management information for senior management, investors and the quarterly Board meetings.
The role, reporting into the Senior Finance Manager, will require coordination of inputs from the operations team (treasury, sales ledger and purchase ledger functions), modelling and tax specialists.
There are a number of commercial and strategic projects in progress and once established it is anticipated that there will be opportunities to support business priorities such as fund raising, restructuring and continual improvement of the processes, control environment and business partnering both internally and with joint ventures.
The right individual will be bright, highly adaptable, equipped with strong technical skills and be able to work in a consultative way with a can do attitude. This role will require close working with the existing MedicX Fund’s Finance team of five others and with the Investment and Property Management teams to offer financial support to achieve the wider objectives of the business.
Management Accounts Preparation
• Leading and ownership of the monthly group management reporting process including consolidation, monthly balance sheet and intercompany reconciliations;
• Preparation of monthly reporting package including KPIs, MI and variance analysis
• Preparing and reviewing journals, posting and carrying out review of monthly results
• Preparation of audit work papers and liaising with external auditors
• Maintenance of forecasts and other financial analysis
2. Financial reporting
• Responsibility for monthly management accounting pack
• Liaising with tax advisers and posting of tax journals
• Drafting quarterly, interim and annual financial statements and announcements
• Overseeing the drafting of subsidiary financial statements
• Liaising with a wide range of legal and professional advisers
• Review of VAT and CIS returns prior to submission
• Review of documents to register companies for VAT / CIS as required
• Preparation of VAT option to tax forms
• Dealing with HMRC queries as appropriate/required
• Providing information and liaising with the Fund’s tax advisers and registrar
• Providing information and monitoring of capital allowance studies and s198 elections
• Assistance in the annual review of transfer pricing, including drafting intercompany loan agreements
4. Other duties
• Preparation and collation of quarterly Board packs and Audit Committee papers
• Reading management information (including board packs, investment management reports, and investment proposals) and keeping up to date with the activities of the Fund
• Management of the quarterly dividend process
• Research and coordination on investor relations and queries
• Providing information to assist in preparation of Fund Investor presentations
• Review and preparation of covenant compliance reporting
• Involvement in other ad-hoc analysis and projects as required
Key skills and qualities
• Qualified accountant with approximately two – four years post-qualification experience
• Attention to detail, strong numeracy, verbal and written communication
• An ability to focus individually and work in a team environment
• Track record of identifying and implementing improvements
• Comfortable working in a feedback culture with an ambition to develop skills and experience
• Knowledge of the real estate tax regime and Qube accounting software would be advantageous
• Customer Obsession - is about putting the customers’ needs at the heart of everything we do. We achieve this by listening, by making the complex simple and by delivering on our promises.
• Focus on Impact - is about making things happen. It’s about recognising and avoiding the distractions. And it’s about executing really, really well.
• Better & Better - is about having the humility to recognise that everything can be improved. We want a culture where everyone can put forward ideas and where people at all levels seek out, learn from and react positively to feedback.
• Personality matters - at Octopus. We want people who are willing to roll up their sleeves, are passionate about what they do, and who retain their humility despite all they achieve. We are honest, open and decent, always.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.